Author Topic: Umihara Kawase Fresh getting a Steam release in late May  (Read 147 times)

Offline KawaseFan

• KawaseFan.net
Umihara Kawase Fresh getting a Steam release in late May
« on: May 01, 2020, 03:49:16 AM »
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/04/umihara-kawase-fresh-coming-to-pc-on-may-28

I'm kind of surprised that this is happening at this point, but I suppose if they can get a few more sales (especially with the less than stellar sales of the Switch and PS4 versions), then why not.

Online Alc

Re: Umihara Kawase Fresh getting a Steam release in late May
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 11:54:17 AM »
I'd be tempted by this solely on the possibility of a patch to get rid of the hunger bar.

Offline Tofu

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 04:19:54 PM »
Not sure if releasing Fresh and Bazooka on the same day is a good idea but I'll probably get the former.
Also, didn't the Steam page mention an English release a few hours ago? Looks like they removed it, that's a bummer.

Offline KawaseFan

• KawaseFan.net
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 09:17:05 AM »
Also, didn't the Steam page mention an English release a few hours ago? Looks like they removed it, that's a bummer.

Not sure why the English description got removed, but it's back now.  English is still listed as not supported, but the end of the description states "English Version:Coming 2020".  So it will be available in English at some point this year, but I guess not this month.

I had speculated in a discussion on Discord about whether there were any rights issues with Nicalis that would prevent Success from releasing an English version outside of Japan.  I could be totally wrong about that, but I can't think of any other reason for the delay of the PC version including English, since the Japanese Switch release included English.

Offline KawaseFan

• KawaseFan.net
« Reply #4 on: Today at 09:10:24 AM »
So the PC version's out now on Steam, and I can't really recommend it.  Besides the current lack of English language option (which we knew about), the game is still surprisingly expensive, even with a 20% launch discount, for a year-old Switch game that it's clear has had minimal effort put into the port.  All of the button prompts appear to have been left unchanged from the Switch version; e.g., if your PC controller uses an Xbox layout like mine does, then all references to A actually mean B and vice versa, and the 'goal' of a stage would actually be activated with Y, rather than the X that the game displays.

I can't recommend the PC version unless it gets a serious, permanent discount (hopefully this happens when the game is updated to support English) or at least a 50% off sale, and has the button displays fixed.