• Welcome to KawaseFan.net Forum.

News:

Forum user registration is currently disabled.

Main Menu

Umihara Kawase Christmas Community Challenge hack

Started by Naulahauta, December 22, 2019, 11:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naulahauta

It's the 25th Anniversary of the SNES game!
We started a collaborative ROM hack at the Umihara Kawase Discord a few weeks back and now it's done.
The IPS patch is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hk5sdfpdc8t9rbe/Umihara%20Kawase%20Christmas%20Community%20Challenge.ips?dl=0

I tried to squash all bugs I could find but if you've got something, let me know in this thread.
Be sure to play all the way to the end, there's a very special surprise and I hope you like it!

Thanks to all collaborators.

EDIT: unfortunately, sometimes the game crashes in the final boss, right as the tadpole jumps into the water. The best way to mitigate the crash is to not be onscreen with them once this happens, and instead just holding up in front of the door right when you know you're going to win.

KawaseFan

Great ROM hack; well done to all involved, and happy 25th birthday Umihara Kawase!

Canvas

Great job, field 2 is my favorite. The new graphics are great too. Seeing the boss lay frogs is hilarious ;D and ironically enough his hitbox seems closer to this new sprite

texh

Quote from: Canvas on December 29, 2019, 05:43:41 PM
Great job, field 2 is my favorite.
I've been itching to use that secret tech from umipasta for a while  ;D

Alc

Right. So, long story short, I have a Super Famicom again and a flash cart.

I've built the ROM with LIPS, gets an MD5 checksum of 5591e3bb07acecbbec2c3fb3294904b9.

This seems to run ok on bsnes, but when I run it on real hardware it hangs after the menu - I can start a game and the music kicks in, but the level never shows.

Any ideas?

Alc

To answer my own question, you need to change $7fd7 from $0a to $0b (a = 8mbit, b = 16mbit), the header incorrectly identifies the game as 8mbit and that causes the flashcart issue. This is a general issue with any ROMs made by Riverback.

But now I've done it, and played it, and it's great! Well done everyone. Especially amused by the boss.

Combi~ringer

Hi! I was wondering if there are any plans to make more community ROM hacks? I've really enjoyed the hacks that I've found from this site and I'd be delighted to play more of them.

My apologies if this thread is the wrong place to ask.

Naulahauta

Hey there, Combi~ringer.
There are no plans currently but I suppose if there's enough interest we could make a new one, bigger and better than the last  ;D

Canvas

Quote from: Naulahauta on September 07, 2020, 08:17:49 AM
if there's enough interest we could make a new one, bigger and better than the last  ;D
If mappers are needed I would like to be a part of it

summer kawase

hello guys im a new kawase player, sorry if im off topic . im pretty bad but having fun learning, still getting to grips with the movement.hope this forum is still alive and well.
i got the first three games a few days ago on steam sale and love them.
i was introduced to the charecter from blade strangers
kawase for smash

RetroBreak

Hi everyone! So glad I found this forum! Looking forward to trying out the Christmas rom hack! Downloading it now :D
youtube.com/retrobreak

KawaseFan

Welcome, both of you :)

Quote from: summer kawase on January 01, 2021, 09:14:11 PM
i got the first three games a few days ago on steam sale and love them.

Yeah, that is a pretty great discount -- 75% off for the trilogy, for anyone else reading who's interested.

summer kawase

hi im an old school dinosaur who never really got into emulators or romhacking,
the most i did was kill my old laptop backi in the day downloading mugen.
im very much interested in trying this rom hack, and also emulating some child hood classics( u guys ever play teambuddies for ps1?)
but i have no idead where to start . how would i get the emulator and rom for uk. i baoght the game on steam so i own it legally
kawase for smash

Canvas

Quote from: summer kawase on January 03, 2021, 02:53:27 PM
hi im an old school dinosaur who never really got into emulators or romhacking,
the most i did was kill my old laptop backi in the day downloading mugen.
im very much interested in trying this rom hack, and also emulating some child hood classics( u guys ever play teambuddies for ps1?)
but i have no idead where to start . how would i get the emulator and rom for uk. i baoght the game on steam so i own it legally
Download Umihara Kawase (Japan) ROM (usually comes in a .zip file, you will need to uncompress it to get the needed .sfc file, I recommend the program 7-zip) and the .ips file in the OP
Download and open the program LunarIPS.
Click "Apply patch", select "Umihara Kawase Christmas Community Challenge.ips", and lastly select "Umihara Kawase (Japan).sfc". It will prompt you to create a name for the patched game which can be anything
Download and open SNES9x, press "File" and "Open" then select the patched ROM you saved from the above step. You will likely need to rebind your controls which is an option in another menu

Alc

Can't link the ROM directly, but if anyone wants a link to the ROM, send me a message and we'll sort something out off-site.