• Welcome to KawaseFan.net Forum.

Skip Tadpole and Crab Bosses (Romhack)

Started by Canvas, May 03, 2018, 10:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canvas

While novel at first the tadpole and crab bosses become very tiring on replays. This romhack lets you skip them. It is as simple as switching the destination of the doors to the levels after the boss. This originally was to have two different versions, one for just crab/tadpole and another for ALL bosses, but the seahorse and one school of fish boss had two doors which complicates things (to get around this would require changing levels more than I want to bother with). Added to level 1 is a boss rush door leading to these three boss levels in succession, in case you wanted to fight them, but otherwise they should be completely inaccessible. This mod also removes the 30 minute timer, and implements F28 (the 30 minute level) into the F12 > F28 > F36 route

FUCK TADPOLE 1.2.1 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uYoJ0VOLe3xhMc2-9Dcrd40s6lI1ENb6/view?usp=sharing
All the old versions were gone with my google account, and again, I didn't notice this mod got axed. So I remade it from a 1.0 version, that I just happened to have on my Xperia Play. Backups? HUH? anyways I think I will back it up this time LOL The one change I made was that I did not rename field 28 to field 13, because it was unnecessary even back then and honestly bothered me all this time so that's why I didn't just ask for a reupload in the thread since I knew I had to edit it anyways. If there are any bugs please tell me

To use this .ips file you will need both the original Umihara Kawase (Japan) ROM (usually comes in a .zip file, you will need to uncompress it to get the needed .sfc file, I recommend the program 7-zip) and the program LunarIPS. You just open LunarIPS, click "Apply patch", select "Nobosshex.ips", and lastly select "Umihara Kawase (Japan).sfc"

Alc

Quality of life improvements right there, nice job. Something to play around with on the weekend, cheers!

So I guess L28 (the 30-min level) is inaccesible? Or did you slot it in somewhere?

Canvas

Thirty minute level? OH NO
I didn't know there was a level specifically for 30 minutes, I always thought it normally would gameover. I will update the OP with the 30 minute timer intact

Alc

If you want to see it easily, there's a way... it's the only "cheat" in the games (to my knowledge, would have to check Sayonara), it adds a five-minute timer. Press select 100 times at the start screen and it'll pop up. Play around for five minutes and the next level you go to should be L28.

Canvas

Quote from: Alc on May 04, 2018, 12:48:22 PM
If you want to see it easily, there's a way... it's the only "cheat" in the games (to my knowledge, would have to check Sayonara), it adds a five-minute timer. Press select 100 times at the start screen and it'll pop up. Play around for five minutes and the next level you go to should be L28.
I wish you told me the 5 minute cheat would reset if you pressed select 101 times LOL I beat it and could definitely find somewhere to put that level, I will make a version 1.2 if I find a good spot to put it just because I dislike how much I would have to mess around just to see this secret level normally

KawaseFan

My new favourite way to play the F57 ending.  Nice work, Canvas!

nathan

Quote from: Canvas on May 04, 2018, 07:43:29 AM
Thirty minute level? OH NO
I didn't know there was a level specifically for 30 minutes, I always thought it normally would gameover. I will update the OP with the 30 minute timer intact
Wish I was good enough to not know that there's a 30 minute level lmao (shoutouts to field 42 and the alternate exit on field 15)

Canvas

Quote from: nathan on June 16, 2018, 02:34:57 AM
Wish I was good enough to not know that there's a 30 minute level lmao (shoutouts to field 42 and the alternate exit on field 15)
My secret is being so impatient that I either win a route or gameover well before 30 minutes LOL actually before mapping for Uku far more of the latter. Making levels will definitely get you more familiar with the movement in the game. I don't doubt I have probably been cutting it close or even have hit the level before but I wouldn't remember

I have not been looking for a good place for the level, actually zero thought at all since 1.1, but if anyone has any suggestions I would make a 1.2. The best place I can think of would just be the shortest route as additional filler, though I know nothing of speedrunning in the game so don't know which this would be

KawaseFan

Quote from: Canvas on June 22, 2018, 07:31:57 AM
The best place I can think of would just be the shortest route as additional filler, though I know nothing of speedrunning in the game so don't know which this would be

The typical speedrun route is 0 → 1 → 2 → 10 → 11 → 12 → 36 → 52 → 55.  If you were to slot F28 into that route, between F12 and F36 would be good just to keep the field numbers in order (or you could just put it at the end).

The only other suggestion I have is that it could be put in place of one of the removed boss fields.  If you were to do this, I feel like F40's old spot would be a good place for it, but it wouldn't really matter which one it replaces.

Canvas

Now the 30 minute level is between 12 and 36 (thank you Kawasefan). It was rather easy, there was not even a field 13 so it transitioned rather seemlessly (thinking about it now though, I probably didn't have to change the field number at all). Check it out, report any bugs. I will still take suggestions if you find this to be a bad spot. I feel as though difficulty wise it fits rather well

Canvas

This mod was also inaccessible due to me closing my google account, and I didn't notice months ago when I fixed Uku. I need to announce that it is back up, and apologize to anyone I may have let down. Was just carelessness all around man, happy new years