• Welcome to KawaseFan.net Forum.

No Jumping (all three games)

Started by Princess Rescuer, October 13, 2016, 10:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princess Rescuer

How many levels can you beat without jumping a single time? And if you need to jump, how few jumps can you get away with using?

Before attempting this challenge, unlock every single level you can and do them in any order you want. Be sure to record each completion (and in fields that can't be beat without jumping, the fewest amount of jumps).

Any press of the X button/A button/whatever the jump button is counts as a jump. To ascend, shoot upwards and press down. When you can't do that (Field 0 in the first game) try to fling yourself into the grabbing position. To clear small ledges, shoot down, jump off, and fling yourself onto them. Discover every technique you can to win!

Good luck!

KawaseFan

I've been trying this for original Umihara.  I'm not quite done yet but wanted to report how I've done so far.  This is without collecting backpacks, by the way.  Field 50, in particular, I can't imagine clearing without jumping after getting the backpack.

Fields where I've had to jump to clear:
Field 2, both exits (one jump - at the start)
Field 11 -> 12 (one jump - can get to the floating platform to the right of the F12 exit without jumping, then jump over)
Field 17 -> 30 (one jump - over the spikes next to the exit)
Field 33 (three jumps - over the gaps between ice platforms on the upper two levels)
Field 42 -> 43 (one jump - slightly uneven ice platforms at the end)

I'll update once I've done fields 40 and 49Update: It wasn't exactly pretty, but F49 is done.  Update 2: F40 is done.

Update 3: I've cleared Field 50 with no jumps after collecting the backpack.
Update 4, Nov 22: I've cleared Field 2 without jumping at the start.  Thanks again to PewableShift for showing me how!
Update 5, Dec 19: I've reduced the jumps for F11->12 to one.

Princess Rescuer

You could also try Low Jumping. Kintyorru's even done No Lure challenges in all three games!

KawaseFan

Do you want people to upload videos for this challenge?  I've been doing this on PC and I've saved some replays (the ones I felt went well enough) so I can start uploading videos whenever.

Princess Rescuer

Absolutely. Proof videos must be uploaded for all my challenges. The quality, colons, and parallel lines don't matter, as long as you directly capture it and get good sound.

In the Original, I've found that 45 out of the total 60 exits are possible. For the impossible ones, see how few jumps you can use. Try to "golf" or "lowscore" it.

You can go into the options menu to disable any jump buttons if there's any chance you might press them. That's a good suggestion.

Princess Rescuer

KawaseFan

40% done at the time of this post.  I haven't been doing these in order, so if there are any exits I can clear without jumping that you want me to prioritise, let me know.

KawaseFan

All done; my final total is six jumps.  It was quite fun doing this.

Princess Rescuer

Amazing! Even better than I would have done!

siosatou

I did it 10 years ago.
That's nostalgic.
It is possible to enter all doors.

F11 F17 F33 F42(steam)
https://youtu.be/qJQsIN-MN7A

Old Video(only difficult doors.  2007)
https://youtu.be/kGEY82GqX0I

siosatou

SAYONARA

It is possible to enter all doors except for F20.
I did not enter the door of F20 yet.
But I think that it is not impossible.

difficult doors (Commentary in Japanese only. sorry)
https://youtu.be/wzgmXLqFQM8

Half of the video is how to take backpack in No Jump.
I could not get only F7 backpack.

Princess Rescuer

Amazing. Let's see if you can discover some new strategies to beat my high score. I had a few mistakes, but I set the bar pretty high.

KawaseFan

That's amazing!  Definitely beyond my capabilities.