• Welcome to KawaseFan.net Forum.

Sayonara Umihara Kawase comes to VR and RPG Maker!

Started by sol-alpha, June 22, 2016, 01:14:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sol-alpha

Had to make this a quick post earlier. The images below shows the contents of my email. Remember that I even suggested this in my VR thread: http://kawasefan.net/forum/index.php?topic=53.0

So the email details that the VR mode is available in Sayonara Umihara Kawase with the use of the HTC Vive and/or Open VR.

Also, there are now Umihara Kawase-themed assets in RPG Maker so you can do your own fan-made RPG.

Here are the images of the Diorama mode in VR.

For anyone reading this from my twitter that has never seen the game before, here is a video of me explaining the mechanics behind the game:
https://youtu.be/BelfE5AxQwA
Note: This does not include video/images of the new VR mode.

I do have an oculus rift dev kit v1 but it's old so I don't know if it works for this with Open VR. So I'll either have to save up for a Vive which I haven't bought any VR Headset yet anyway or just wait for someone else to post up Diorama mode VR footage.

sol-alpha

I actually feel a little disappointed now that I got to see the images up close. As it said, in VR you play a Diorama mode, so unfortunately its not what I was thinking about for the game.

I was hoping it was that since the game already uses 3D, that they could have done some test stages to have you play in First-person view, technically it could still use the 2D play style but have you play in First person view.

Otherwise, for a VR sequel, they could actually try to do a 3D puzzle-platformer so that it can be played in First person view for VR or Third person view for non-VR, the game could use motion controls for aiming since this is on the HTC Vive
otherwise the use of directional shortcuts would seem to help anyway if it's designed like that to still keep the fast gameplay alive.

That was what I thought this was and as I said, just a little disappointed since the Diorama mode doesn't really change how the game plays, just the viewpoint of it.

KawaseFan

Ohh, interesting.  I don't have a Vive or any other VR headset, nor will I any time soon, but for anyone who does, let us know how it is!

For anyone who makes an Umihara-themed RPG with the RPG Maker MV assets, feel free to tell us about it in the Other Umihara Kawase Discussion board.

It might be worth mentioning that the Steam announcement ends with "Enjoy and stay tuned!"  I wonder what might be coming next.

Now I have to figure out where on the site the RPG Maker information belongs!

sol-alpha

If you did see the message on steam there should have been a link. I just checked now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/476051/?snr=1_5_1100__1100

Apparently the assets should be free. It shows what you get.

Edit: Oh, your post was probably referring to where on the forums should we post fan-made Umihara Kawase RPGs. lol

It's similar to me if I ever get around to making a thread for Code of Princess since that came out on Steam some time ago and it was made by the same studio that's done the Umihara Kawase games.

KawaseFan

Nah, I meant where on the informational part of the site would I put it.  For now, I've put it on the Sayonara page with the VR information; (that page badly needs a rewrite...) I don't feel right making a whole new page at this point, since it would probably just be a rewording of its description on Steam.  In the future, though, I could make a new page linking to any RPGs made with the assets.

I bought Code of Princess a while ago on 3DS.  Played it for about an hour, then it sank into the backlog.  I should get back to it one day.  Anyway, if you want to make a thread for it in the off-topic board, go for it.

sol-alpha

Quote from: KawaseFanI bought Code of Princess a while ago on 3DS.  Played it for about an hour, then it sank into the backlog.  I should get back to it one day.  Anyway, if you want to make a thread for it in the off-topic board, go for it.

I can't really do it, it feels like too much effort (As in I would put in too much effort) when you could just go to the wiki or any reviews already made for it.

It's from the same studio but I don't think any of the umihara staff were involved.

I mainly wanted to bring up this trivia from the game.

http://blog.degigames.com/degigames/who-is-code-of-princess-artist-kinu-nishimura/

Where according to the wiki, she was one of the artists and the writer for the game.

And I really wanted to win that competition for her art on degica games back then because she has an impressive resume.

quoting bits here and there from the link in this post.

QuoteEver played 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. Guess who did those character designs?

Boom, that's right, Kinu Nishimura. She was one of the two main artists on the game, as well as it's sequal Virtue's Last Reward.

She also worked on different projects such as King of Dragons and Dungeons and Dragons: Shadows of Mystara, but the most iconic work, the work that you'll see and immediately recognize, is the tons of promotional, character design, and in game art she has done for Capcom's amazing fighter games.

sol-alpha

It turns out that the developers did experiment with a first person view for the game.

Video footage of it here:

https://youtu.be/64gshZBC7bQ

KawaseFan

Thanks for sharing.  I'm almost certain that I'd feel sick trying to play it like that, but still pretty cool to watch.

RetroBreak

Quote from: sol-alpha on August 29, 2016, 07:23:51 AM
It turns out that the developers did experiment with a first person view for the game.

Video footage of it here:

https://youtu.be/64gshZBC7bQ

I've been playing it in VR on my valve index and it's pretty cool, if unoptimised. The framerate isn't great, but it looks so cool being able to look around the whole level in front of you! Also, wonder if anyone could hack that first person mode back in? Although it would probably be horrible for motion sickness it would be cool to try out!
youtube.com/retrobreak