• Welcome to KawaseFan.net Forum.

Hardest field?

Started by KawaseFan, July 04, 2014, 02:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KawaseFan

What, in your opinion, is the hardest field/stage in the game?

My vote would have to go to field 33.  So many spikes everywhere.

Nicole

Haha, yeah, field 33 gave me a ton of trouble compared to most. To this day I only have one clear versus 78 failures...

Still, field 33 has nothing on field 46. I didn't really mind dying in the other fields, because if I did it was always my own fault, but field 46 ended up crossing over into frustrating for me. Part of it was that the ceiling was often just a liiittle out of reach, so it felt less like it was my fault that I died, and more a fault with the field design itself. I did at least get through it, though, after 144 deaths.

badlose

Definitely s46. I think I finally beat it after...96 or so tries? I forget.

s24 > s39 is probably the second most difficult for me. I have a hell of a time doing that rebound from the starting platform to the door. Going the long route to the door is probably even more difficult. The first time I beat it, I used the rebound & weight from dropping that enemy marlin down the hole, thought that was a slick way of completing it. But definitely not the fastest way!

badlose

KawaseFan

Nana

F46 would have to be mine as well. I hate that crab. It's not too bad once you figure out the timing for jumping over its head, though. Basically I just launch myself over it as soon as the oranges are dropping to get enough time to get that ridiculous next shot down.

Aside from that, that video of F33 is brilliant. I was doing something similar before, but I was making the mistake of latching on to the floating platform to the right (above the bed of spikes) before connecting to the platform with the exit. I'm gonna have to go try that now.

Nana

Speaking of Field 33 though, I just beat your time on it, badlose. Get it together.

badlose

I got that the first time I beat it.

DON'T MAKE ME GET SERIOUS!

Nana

Oh.

Yeah, I think that was something like attempt 140 for me when I got that time.

I'll let you slide. This time.

KawaseFan

I'm going to have to better my time on 33, see if I can get to the top of the EU/AU rankings.

Speaking of which, it seems that dodonpa has taken a bunch of the top rankings.  I'll have to see what I can do about that.  I wonder if we can get texh in on that as well, since a lot of those #1s were his.

Unrelated to Sayonara since we can just use gori.sh to compare times for that, but we should do time attack competition threads for original UK and Shun, who would be up for that?

texh

Quote from: KawaseFan on October 27, 2014, 12:45:19 PM
Unrelated to Sayonara since we can just use gori.sh to compare times for that, but we should do time attack competition threads for original UK and Shun, who would be up for that?

Oh yes, please do!

KawaseFan

I've been thinking some more about the time attack competition idea, and how to implement it.  My original suggestion was to have forum threads for it, but now I'm wondering if the keeping of records might get a bit messy and hard to keep track.

I think it would be good to add a time attack section to the website, where times for original UK and Shun can be submitted, much in the style of gori.sh's Sayonara time attack board.  That way we could still have the threads for discussion of the competition, but the actual times can be properly organised.  I'd be willing to try making something like this, but one condition is that people absolutely must be able to use their forum accounts for it.

Quote from: texh on December 03, 2014, 01:58:46 AM
Oh yes, please do
I'm glad to see some support for the general idea, and I'll start with detailed planning soon so we can go ahead and

Quote from: texh on December 03, 2014, 01:58:46 AM
!
Oh, it's on!

dodonpa

I'd like to be part of this competition, but lately i pretty much spend all my spare time on SayonaraUK. It sould be fun to replay Kanzeban entirely though..
Coming back to the topic, speedrunning stage 49 is a nightmare since there is nothing to do except wait for the tadpole to move up and down. (Or i'm just lazy..)

gori.sh

Tadpole is by capturing frogs in front of walking along the River back to fly. Use this to nearly 20 seconds shorter. 
Of course also the F9.
chirari/plus TimeAttack Board http://gori.sh/chirari/

dodonpa

Thanks for the tip. Instead of hardest field, it should be renamed "most annoying field" (what makes it so annoying is the lack of perspective). Anyway i'll really try it someday (and will cease postponing it).

KawaseFan

Quote from: dodonpa on December 08, 2014, 01:52:23 PM
I'd like to be part of this competition, but lately i pretty much spend all my spare time on SayonaraUK. It sould be fun to replay Kanzeban entirely though..
I've been wanting to go back to Kanzenban for a while, but you keep beating my Sayonara times after I beat yours!
Ah, it's all good.  You drive me to be better, then I drive you to be better, and so on.

KawaseFan

I'm planning to work on the time attack ranking section for the site after I finish my Sayonara walkthrough videos, which hopefully won't take too much longer.  In the meantime, if anyone wants to go ahead and start the competition, you're more than welcome to start a thread in the UK or Shun boards.  Just mention the version you got your times on along with your times, although obviously for UK the Kanzenban (and in future Chirari) version would be better because of centiseconds.

Trismagistus

Well, it was 33 for me, but now it's 54. I simply cannot beat this one, try as I might. I can't even make the first jump once you get to the upper half of the stage.

Alc

I'm relieved but also almost disappointed to hear level 33 mentioned as the hardest level. I just got Sayonara + today, 33 was the first level I hit that really felt like the gloves came off. If that's as hard as it gets then it's much more forgiving than Shun SE.

The boss fights are a chore, as always.

texh

I feel the same way about Sayonara. There's nothing quite like getting into Shun's F57 for the first time and just standing there in awe of the monstrosity that field is.

54 does come close though.

Alc

Just had my first taste of 54. Man. Doubt I'll be finishing that one any time soon.

Field 33 took a bunch of attempts but I actually I struggled with 59 more. Got stuck in a rut, screwing up on that wonky final swing from the moving platform. Neither come close to 54, though.

The bounce pads still feel kind of random but maybe that'll pass with experience.

Trismagistus

I'm not big on the trampolines either. I usually just work around them if they're in a dangerous spot.

Oh, I'm up to 310 failures on F54 now. I can semi-reliably get to the final jump now, though. Slow progress...

Edit: Oh my god, yes. YES. YES!!! 381 failures later, I finally did it! Man I feel great now.

gendo7

54 has just destroyed me, I've lost all confidence in myself. I was able to unlock every other field, and door and get every backpack, but this single stage...

Alc

Haha, congrats Trismagistus! I've only got 20 or so attempts on 54 yet, I've decided to work on survival routes and generally getting my game up rather than locking horns with 54 for now. Like Gendo I've got everything else unlocked, though, so it's sticking out like a sore thumb...

Tooro

Quote from: gendo7 on May 13, 2015, 08:08:51 AM
54 has just destroyed me, I've lost all confidence in myself. I was able to unlock every other field, and door and get every backpack, but this single stage...
FYI, Ramtieger_n (shown as らむてが in the ranking) have uploaded a tutorial (non Time Attack) replay for F54, named "フィールド54お手本".  In the replay, he shortcuts the first big jump and use head-rubbing before the last big jump to acquire enough energy.

gendo7

Oh... sweet! Is there a way to view replays of fields that you haven't cleared yet? I swear I think I had trouble trying to find a way to view replays.

Alc

Quote from: gendo7 on May 14, 2015, 11:17:59 PMIs there a way to view replays of fields that you haven't cleared yet?
If you go into Rankings on any level you can browse other replays uploaded by any player who's ranked. If they have a recording of a level you haven't cleared you can still download and watch it.

gendo7

Well, that trick certainly helped a lot, now I can reliably make it to the last jump... like 1 in 5 times...

So I'm at 600 deaths now. I'm not going to let this stage beat me, I just wish I knew the timing better for that final jump.

Alc

I've done the survival routes for every exit now, 33 and 59 don't even feel that hard any more. One last unlock and I'm there.

Curse you level 54!

gendo7

Man, what they say about taking a break from something frustrating for a while & coming back to it? Too true. After about a week or so break, I've sat down to Field 54 for about 5 minutes and cleared it. Finally! After 675 misses! I'm so happy. :)

It's funny, the video that helped the most? The pendulum jump from the official site. https://youtu.be/Jtmedfs8HI4

Now, for the Platinum trophy!

KawaseFan

Nice work.  Now you never have to play that field ever again!

Alc

I just got 54 today, too - after 28 hours on the clock, a lot of running survival routes as practice, and 169 very frustrating misses. It felt good afterwards, but honestly? I'm mostly just glad I'm done with it. The leap in difficulty between it and the rest of the game is too great, IMO; it sort of robbed me of the satisfaction of finally completing it, because it felt like complete chance that I nailed the final jump on the occasion that I did. Still, probably shouldn't complain too much, at least it wasn't on a survival route.

I went up the middle of the level, incidentally. I found it easier to swing up over the spikes onto the middle platform and from there onto the final jump rather than mess around with the right half of the level.

I can't see myself getting into speedrunning individual levels, the repetition is too much of a grind. Survival mode is fun though. I stand by my initial assessment that the bosses are a chore, but the only ones I can't seem to get 100% reliable yet are the crabs, particularly that second one.

gendo7

Yeah, I'm not a fan of that huge difficulty spike either, it seems completely out of place, and if I'm not mistaken, it wasn't even in the original Sayonara Umihara Kawase... right?  ???

I swung up the middle of the level too, it was much easier to just deal with the spikes on that area that bother running all the way to the right to try that jump.

I finally ended up Platinuming the game tonight. :D Such a great feeling! I'm so glad this game was localized. Thanks again to everyone here who helped me. :)

Alc

Congrats Gendo!

Quote from: gendo7 on May 29, 2015, 09:28:56 AMYeah, I'm not a fan of that huge difficulty spike either, it seems completely out of place, and if I'm not mistaken, it wasn't even in the original Sayonara Umihara Kawase... right?  ???
Seems that way. Which other levels are new, anyone know?

dodonpa

Stage 50 to 59 were created for chirari and it is a great addition to the original game imo.
In stage 33, you can see right from the start the location of the door, so you could just ignore the regular path (The snails added in chirari are a bit dissuasive though). It's the same for stage 54, however it may take a while to figure out the whole maneuver. By the way, i'm stuck at 4.50 for now.

badlose

So....I just encountered F54 for the first time.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Think I'm going to commit sudoku, screw this field so much. My hand hurts, still haven't beaten it. BREAK TIME.

Alc

Oh boy are you in for a ride. Brute force required!

badlose

So I'm guessing people that are good at these games can go right up to the upper left at the start?

Alc

badlose

For some reason I didn't realize KawaseFan was one of THE GODS at the Umiharas.

Just burned another hour trying to do the long path. This field is making me hate the game, and even moreso, hate myself.

This swing is killing me. In the rare 1/30 chance I make it, I'm not prepared for it, and slide off the ice over half the time. Or screw up the final section. I usually die on the way to that area, and am agitated before reaching it. How can one play this series for so long and still be SO BAD?

RIP

Ramtieger

I've uploaded the F54 to youtube.
This is the easiest route that I think.
When you swing up, hit the head on the diagonal ceiling.

https://youtu.be/fGsMU1qKMS8

badlose

Thanks for the help, ramtieger, but still unable to clear that final section.

Better break for the night before my blood pressure gets any higher!

badlose

W E   D I D   I T   B O Y S

1 Pass
149 Failures (on record, maybe closer to 500 tries with level restart when I'm about to die for speed)

How on earth am I going to do this on survival?

All said and done, I want to say that 54 has made me a better player in the long run. TOUGH LOVE.

KawaseFan

Good news, F54 is not required for any survival challenge ending.  You never have to play it again!

badlose

I...I think I kinda like 54 now though....

Not many fields that require those long swings.

Level creator WHEN?  ;D

rainwarrior

Finally beat 33 tonight! 126 failures, ha ha!

The stage 34 boss after that seemed like a joke by comparison. (Especially compared to the second crab boss!)

Still haven't cleared 54 or 59 yet (and whatever the 5th boss is), but neither of them has nearly so many attempts yet. Whooooo, just feels like such a relief.

Actually, now that I beat it, I feel like I kinda levelled up in skill in the process. The back half of the stage felt fairly reasonable once I had enough tries at it, but that one jump to the platform in the middle is so hard to get right! Really made it hard to practice on the rest.

KawaseFan

Nice!  And yeah, landing on that small area on the middle platform is definitely the hardest part!

rainwarrior

Finally cracked 54 after 116 failures. It took me a while to realize that the best swings don't use the longest rope. This was a bit counter-intuitive to me, it's almost as if she has more torque when the rope is a little shorter. ;)

33 took me more tries, but I just did on my first try on a survival run, ha ha. Once you get that one jump to the middle down it's almost a piece of cake.

59 was also pretty hard. It was what finally taught me how to get around on the ceiling properly. (I have no idea how I beat Crab 2 before this, 'cause I was really flailing around on ceilings prior to this.) After the initial gauntlet, getting a good throw for the ice at the end is a bit tricky too. This one almost broke my last survival run.

Here's the ones that took me the most attempts:

33 - 126 fails
54 - 116 fails
59 - 96 fails
46 - 75 fails
24 - ~65 fails (trying for door 55)
35 - ~60 fails
5 - ~35 fails (learning)
42 - 29 fails
4 - ~25 fails (learning)
9 - ~25 fails (learning how bosses work)

KawaseFan

Quote from: rainwarrior on July 21, 2016, 05:30:17 AM
33 took me more tries, but I just did on my first try on a survival run, ha ha. Once you get that one jump to the middle down it's almost a piece of cake.
Oh, nice!  I can't tell you how many survival runs of mine have been ruined by F33!

Whendaleksattack

Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but I guess I'll give my 2 cents on the hardest stages I've played so far.

Stage 59 gave me such hell, mainly the beginning section. I did eventually beat it (after 189 tries, no less):

(I even changed the music to the DW theme but oh well)

Then came the crab (stage 46). FUCK the crab. I still haven't completed it yet, but I'm probably going to complete it soon. Apologies for swearing.
Still loving this game though!

KawaseFan

Quote from: Whendaleksattack on January 01, 2020, 09:10:39 PM
Stage 59 gave me such hell, mainly the beginning section. I did eventually beat it (after 189 tries, no less):

I feel like stage 59 sometimes gets overlooked and doesn't seem to have the same reputation as stages like 33, 46 and 54, but yeah, 59 is definitely one of the toughest stages in the game along with those three.