Author Topic: How did you get into this series?  (Read 2093 times)

Offline youhavethewrong

How did you get into this series?
« on: August 17, 2015, 01:07:08 AM »
I don't think it's a surprise to any of us that this game is practically 100% unknown on the west. So my question is, how did you get to know/get into this series?

My personal answer: From the 1st episode of Game Center CX, in which they challenged the game. It didn't only look fun, but I was quite surprised to see that the illustrator of the game was also a big fan of the show itself! Throughout the episode he sent various illustrations of Kawase to motivate the host. Here's the one he sent in case he lost:

So to repeat my question: How did you get to know this game?  ;D

Offline KawaseFan

• KawaseFan.net
Re: How did you get into this series?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 12:31:33 PM »
I happened to find a discussion about it around mid-2013 and thought it sounded great, so then I decided to check it out and it quickly became a favourite.

Offline gori.sh

• machine translation
    • gori.sh
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 02:34:52 PM »
About 20 years ago. Last goes first heard about shun. Taught college classmates. 

chirari/plus TimeAttack Board http://gori.sh/chirari/

Offline texh

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 05:26:50 PM »
I just randomly stumbled upon the first Umihara when looking up "obscure SNES games" on Google. Remember getting stuck on the first field because I didn't even know you could retract the fishing line and had to search Youtube to get further...

It was unlike anything I've seen before and fell in love immediately. Really one of those timeless gems that I can see myself still playing in the next 20 years.

Offline Alc

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 08:48:32 PM »
I vaguely remember emulating Shun on Dreamcast way back when the bleem beta leaked. Didn't make much of an impression. Played it much later on a proper PSX and finally "got it". Didn't get particularly good at it, but good enough to complete most of the exits, I think.

Then I bought the SFC cart. I originally played it on my PAL Super Nintendo with a converter, meaning it ran at 50Hz... if you try this you'll notice incredibly distracting screen flickering if you're in the top 75% of the level, but somehow I persevered like this for quite a while, on a tiny little 1970s "goldfish bowl" CRT TV... student life. (About the only plus side of playing in 50Hz is that the game ran ~17% slower, so it was actually noticeably easier.) This would've been about 2004 or 2005 I guess.

Finally bought myself a SFC and that's when the addiction really got going. It was (and probably still is) really hard to find information about this game in English, but if anything I think that drove me harder - there was always the possibility of digging something up online on a Japanese site.

Offline youhavethewrong

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 12:51:26 AM »
Woah, I must say I'm surprised! To be honest, since Game Center CX is so immensely popular, I thought that every story would be the same. So glad to know I was wrong!  ;D

It's amazing how easy is to get hooked to this game. No pun intended.

Offline Piku

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 02:01:35 PM »
I've discovered the game through Game Center CX (great show BTW!) few years ago, but didn't get hooked until Sayonara came out on 3DS. Lovin' it.

Offline Naulahauta

• Hands across the water. Heads across the sky.
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 07:25:08 AM »
When Morimoto released one of the first Tool-Assisted Speedruns in 2003(?) it led me to nesvideos (now called tasvideos.org) from where I found the Umihara Kawase TAS in 2004(?).
The game looked very fun and the admin had left a note on the publication "For extra fun, get your hands on this game and try playing it. You'll quickly learn what "almost impossible maneuvers" means :)"
Played it every now and then ever since.

Offline matt

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 02:36:11 PM »
Early 2000s a friend dropped the name and I bought the SNES and PSX versions, along with a DVD and a book.

Offline sol-alpha

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 09:57:55 AM »
Hmm... I mentioned I first discovered it on the 3DS eshop...well technically I browse NeoGAF so I saw someone talk about Sayonara Umihara Kawase because I think it came out in US long before releasing in Europe/Aus so I at least heard of it before I saw gameplay on the 3DS eshop.

Otherwise, if I happened to miss all that, I would have seen the original game for the first time from seeing it at Awesome Games Done Quick 2015 I believe it was.