• Welcome to KawaseFan.net Forum.

Plans for info section relaunch, site rename

Started by KawaseFan, July 21, 2019, 06:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KawaseFan

Recently, KawaseFan.net reached its fifth birthday.  Hard to believe it's been that long, but I'm proud of what we've achieved in that time.  My goal with the site was to create the #1 English-language Umihara Kawase community, and we've done that.  I want to thank all of you who have contributed to the forum over the past five years; the site wouldn't have survived without you.

Now, it's time to plan for the next phase of the site, and after five years with the existing info section, I've decided the time is right to relaunch it.  The current format has served well, but it doesn't allow me to open the info section to editing by others, which is a requirement of my relaunch plans.  It's important for the future growth and quality of the info section that it become a true community-powered resource for all things Umihara Kawase.

My current plan is to transition the info section to run MediaWiki.  I think this is the best move, because it would provide a familiar experience for both site visitors and editors, and all current info section content can be replicated (and potentially even improved) in this format.  That said, I'd like to ask you all for your thoughts.  Any ideas you have for the info section relaunch -- regarding platform, content or anything else -- are welcome.

I'd also like to rename the site at the time of the relaunch.  I don't have any ideas for a new name, though, so if you've got some suggestions, let us know!

Drifter

my suggestion is make sure account creation is required to edit the wiki lol

As for the name of the site, simpler is probably better. UmiharaWiki or KawaseWiki or something really generic. It should probably be recognizable upon first glance because linephysicsgirlwiki would not get noticed by fans of the series. But hey, I'm not creative enough to come up with a name.

KawaseFan

Quote from: Drifter on July 22, 2019, 03:00:01 PM
my suggestion is make sure account creation is required to edit the wiki lol

Yep, definitely will be doing that!

Canvas

i hope that doesn't mean a visual redesign, i find it so refreshing

walkingtadpole.net

nathan

IDK if a wiki is really necessary, there's not enough going on in the Kawaseverse to require multiple authors to keep a site up to date.

KawaseFan

Fair point.  I haven't really thought much about this since making the thread, and probably won't take any action on it for another few months, so I'm not locked into any one solution at this stage.  If the majority opinion is that the wiki format is unnecessary and the site is fine as is, then I'll keep it that way.  That said, if we keep the existing design, I'd like to put the related links (that currently appear under a game's release data) somewhere else.

Alc

Anything that encourages community participation is a good thing, in my estimation. I think a wiki would be a positive development.

KawaseFan

Sorry for the slight delay!

I've just relaunched the info section as UmiharaWiki (credit to Drifter for suggesting that name).

At least for now, it will remain hosted under KawaseFan.net, and the forum will remain named the KawaseFan.net Forum (though these may change in the future).