Author Topic: (Negative) Lasting Through The Gaming Nuclear Winter  (Read 22 times)

Offline Princess Rescuer

(Negative) Lasting Through The Gaming Nuclear Winter
« on: November 25, 2021, 01:30:11 PM »
KawaseFan.net is usually a happy place. If you are not interested in being depressed and sad, this is not the thread for you.

As everyone knows by now, there were two gaming crashes in both 1977 and 1983. Both were the result of lost goodwill from a deluge of low-quality games. I feel that this is what is happening in the 2020s- except the current companies are much bigger than before and have plenty of money to make mistakes (especially Microsoft). So instead of an outright crash, we are going to have quite a while of declining quality and huge money mistakes to wait through. Since plenty of companies have reserves and little urgency to right the ship, you will have to resort to retro gaming. Which type of retro gaming? I'll guide you.

If you are collecting a console for the first time, I would recommend the Japanese variant of it. If this were 15 years ago, I wouldn't be thinking about Japanese at all. But times have changed. English games are more expensive and in worse condition. The older retro gamers have bought and kept them before you grew old enough to be conscious of them. Japanese games, on the other hand, not only have more choice, but the demand stays low due to how many more people know the English language compared to Japanese. And they are in great condition which will make them last and age well. Plus recording Japanese games for the internet will not get you as many views most of the time. Although they are in Japanese, you can read guides on the internet or just learn Japanese and do lots of training and trial and error in the games if that's not an option. It's more effort, but it is worth it. Be brave.

The types of games I would recommend the most are JRPGs. These are not the best games (or maybe they are?) they are not my favorite, but they last. As someone who has already mastered numerous other types of genres, and has barely dipped into JRPGs, I await my coming obsession with them throughout the decade. Even challenging action games (including the Umihara Kawase series) don't have that same lastability. And when you add replay value into the mix, it gets even better. JRPGs will be the "army food" in your bunker.

Another genre I recommend is sports games. Huh? Yes, sports games! While JRPGs can be expensive (unless you import dirt cheap NTSC-J ones) sports games are cheap across the board and lastable. They are based on sports that have lasted decades/centuries and have produced their own long-lasting leagues and tournaments in real life. They essentially don't have any real "end point" so they will be excellent for lastability. But what about multiplayer? Personally, I prefer the challenge of AI opponents for personal reasons. And even without multiplayer, you will still find a lot in many sports games. They are the furthest thing from one-and-done visual novels.

Another type of game I recommend is shovelware. Does not have the lastability (unless you use your imagination) but does have the prices. There are many shovelware games to discover, they fatten up your collection, and they can be kind of fun. There's also a metagame as to which type of shovelware games to discover.

Going away from consoles, there are also handhelds. Handheld games are cheap and the better handheld games have reproductions. Handhelds, outside of Japan, have never been taken seriously and have some overlooked gems of their own. Discovering handheld games is part of the experience, they can be pretty unique! Even if you stay inside to play them, they're still good. Just be sure to have a rechargeable backlit version of every system. Handhelds and handheld games are cheap and will be new to discover for most people.

Another thing is unpopular consoles. If you were a selective fanboy back then, now's your chance to experience the other consoles. Also now's your chance to play the Famicom Disk System, the Turbografx-CD, the Sega Mega CD, and the Amiga CD32. You will eventually go for the more obscure consoles/handhelds if you have a cutoff time for when games stopped appealing to you. If you only play Nintendo, and you find games after the GameCube to be unappealing, you will probably go for popular competitors like the Master System and Mega Drive, then you will probably want to try out the Turbografx-16, then buy increasingly obscure ones until you're going for really obscure consoles like the PC-FX and 32X eventually. Why do this? Part of lastability is discovery. Childhood games or popular games are the WORST CHOICES for the Gaming Nuclear Winter because they have been figured out already. The more undocumented, the better.

Lastly, we have PC Gaming (if you are rich). The PC is more convenient than ever now, and it has services like Good Old Games (if you're retro) and other such services. You also have a more global library with the most available languages and countries of origin, not to mention all the beta prototypes and free early access demos you can download. Will require lots of money for all the games as well as a good internet connection and lots of storage space for all the games. Old platforms such as Spectrum, MS-DOS, and Amiga and numerous others will emulate easily on new computers whereas consoles have more of a problem with ports of previous games. The good thing is, you will only need one good PC and you won't need to upgrade often. It's region free, doesn't require different hardware for different games (unlike consoles, which you will need different regions of different consoles per generation) and they are rapidly decreasing in cost (and that's if you don't research putting one together yourself with cheap parts). The PC isn't everyone's favorite though and it can be less instant and comfortable. It is new to most gamers so there is the first-time element of discovery.