• Welcome to KawaseFan.net Forum.

News:

Forum user registration is currently disabled.

Main Menu

DS unlockable questions and need help on some tricky jumps

Started by Sper, April 21, 2020, 07:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sper

Been trying to search for some info on some of the unlockables for the ds version but to no avail, so I'm hoping For some answers here.

For the fish encyclopedia, what is the last fish after the Pufferfish? I have every other fish recorded except for the bucket boss, but I have no idea what this last fish is, I'm just really curious besides needing it for the jukebox unlockable. I've seen videos of the stages I never reached and I've never seen what this last fish could be.

For the other jukebox unlockable, where I've researched it translated as "moving two screens up without touching the ground",  which stage is best to do this at and any tips on how to achieve this?

Would also really like some specific instruction on how to do the long jump over the spikes in field 27 to door 41, and how to get past that spiked platform and ice ramp in field 26 to door 49. I've seen videos of it but I am stumped on how to actually perform these maneuvers (especially the long jump for f27. I've seen two different ways to get past the spiked platform and ice ramp in f26, but still can't do it myself).

I am a newcomer to the series and am already a huge fan of the games, but Shun kinda aggravates me because of how precise some of these obstacles demand you to be. Still love many aspects of Shun, but I think some in-game tutorials on how do some of these advanced necessary techniques in less punishing environments would have been an improvement imo. Beside that, I'm curious if there is somewhere where I can view all of the unlockable illustrations? Bc I honestly don't think I'll ever unlock them all and it would be nice to see them. Thanks.

KawaseFan

Welcome :)

Quote from: Sper on April 21, 2020, 07:22:44 AM
For the fish encyclopedia, what is the last fish after the Pufferfish? I have every other fish recorded except for the bucket boss, but I have no idea what this last fish is, I'm just really curious besides needing it for the jukebox unlockable. I've seen videos of the stages I never reached and I've never seen what this last fish could be.

Hmm, the only thing really after the pufferfish in the fish encyclopedia is the bucket boss, so I'm not sure which entry you're referring to.  But at a guess, if there's one fish in Shun that's easy to overlook, it's the piranha.  If that's the one you're missing, it's found in field 25.

For the other jukebox unlockable, where I've researched it translated as "moving two screens up without touching the ground",  which stage is best to do this at and any tips on how to achieve this?

This can be done on field 2.  There are two ways to do it; however, both methods are a bit tricky.  I think the better method is to go to the bottom-right area, hook onto one of the ascending platforms (as close to the left side of it as you can) until it disappears into the above ceiling and your hook transfers to that, then very carefully swing yourself over to the left through the small-ish gap, and then upward to the small area that you can stand on.  You should get the unlock message on that final swing up.

Alternatively, it's possible to unlock it by swinging from the start area up near where the exit to field 5 is, and then hook and swing up to the platform above that exit.  I think this is harder, though.  I have attached a field map with both paths drawn on it.

I think this is also possible on field 5, specifically involving swinging up the middle-ish area on the right side, but I don't want to confirm it 100% because I can't remember if I've done it that way before, and I can't pull it off in my attempts today.  If anyone else can confirm it's possible on field 5, or can suggest a better field, please do!

Would also really like some specific instruction on how to do the long jump over the spikes in field 27 to door 41, and how to get past that spiked platform and ice ramp in field 26 to door 49. I've seen videos of it but I am stumped on how to actually perform these maneuvers (especially the long jump for f27. I've seen two different ways to get past the spiked platform and ice ramp in f26, but still can't do it myself).

Frankly, I consider it a fluke whenever I clear that exit in field 27, haha.  I'm not too sure if any advice I could give for that would be helpful, but I'll see if I can think of anything.

Regarding field 26, this is my preferred method -- note the climbing up to the ice and walking slooooowly to the left before turning back and hooking on.  I think this is a good way to get enough momentum for the jump, without trying to go over the spikes.

I'm curious if there is somewhere where I can view all of the unlockable illustrations? Bc I honestly don't think I'll ever unlock them all and it would be nice to see them. Thanks.

Not at this stage, as far as I'm aware, but that is something I'd like to have on this site eventually, after I convert the informational pages to a wiki.

Sper

That's it, the piranha! Easily missable indeed, I didn't even remember this fish at all when I did F25. Took me awhile to capture it, but I got it, now I just need to get to the bucket boss which will be tough bc I need to either get past the F27 or F42 path first.

The F27 long leap might be the single hardest maneuver from what I've encountered so far. From what I could tell from vids online, it seems like you got to lengthen the rope a little right before reeling it in in order to do a jump high enough and strong enough to get past the spikes? I'm going to continue working on it, I just really need to figure out the timing of it in order to do it consistently.

For the "moving two screens up" achievement, I got it! You were right about the last part towards the end being tricky, but careful swinging in F2 finally nagged me it. Easier than I thought.

Can't believe I didn't think of that maneuver for F26 for the ice ramp, wayyyyy easier than what I was trying to do before. Still hate that level, but I'm glad I finally beat that level after so many attempts. Really appreciate all of the specific advice, thanks a lot! Hope to see all of the ingame artwork someday, been mostly playing the Umihara Kawase, but finally making progress in Shun feels good.

KawaseFan

Quote from: Sper on April 26, 2020, 08:57:59 AM
The F27 long leap might be the single hardest maneuver from what I've encountered so far. From what I could tell from vids online, it seems like you got to lengthen the rope a little right before reeling it in in order to do a jump high enough and strong enough to get past the spikes? I'm going to continue working on it, I just really need to figure out the timing of it in order to do it consistently.

Yeah, that should give you the momentum you need.  But then, yes, the timing needs to be just right... definitely one of the trickier exits, for sure.

I just had a look through my DS replays and found one for this exit, and I was able to clear it again using the same hook placement on the ceiling.  I had hooked on a little right of the centre of the blue part of the ceiling.  I'm guessing the videos you've seen will have done similar, so I'm not sure if this really helps, but this seems like good hook placement in terms of being close enough that you can actually make the jump, but far enough away that you're less likely to hit the spikes by accident before even attempting the jump.

Quote from: Sper on April 26, 2020, 08:57:59 AM
Really appreciate all of the specific advice, thanks a lot!

No worries, glad to have helped!

Whendaleksattack

I was always curious about that 2 screen achievement for Shun DS, just tried it out and finally got the unlock after a few attempts and patience on Field 2. Thanks!

Quote from: KawaseFan on April 24, 2020, 12:40:55 PM

I'm curious if there is somewhere where I can view all of the unlockable illustrations? Bc I honestly don't think I'll ever unlock them all and it would be nice to see them. Thanks.

Not at this stage, as far as I'm aware, but that is something I'd like to have on this site eventually, after I convert the informational pages to a wiki.

That would be very nice, being able to see the unlocked art gallery stuff on the wiki. Gonna try to get the rest of the unlocks for now (or I could just rip them through GGD or something to get them the easy route lol), since I'm looking for a bit of a challenge over the next few weeks. 

Sper

So I'm able to get through F27 relatively consistently now and I've made a lot of progress on Shun. For F27, I think the trick is is to plant your lure on the right edge of the blue block, get a good swing going (lure length almost touching the spikes as you swing. Then I press right when kawase goes right, and left when she goes left, and on the second time after I hold left, I immediately follow up with pressing up to reel out a little bit when I'm at the highest point of the left swing I think), then backswing (reel in) at the apex of the swing to do the long jump over the spikes. I'm kinda sliding my thumb over the d-pad while I'm doing this, sliding from left, to up for a second, then down and let go of the lure button for the backswing. Took me like 500 deaths I believe to be able to get this down consistently.

https://imgur.com/a/70QNypx

I've had trouble on F56 for a bit (that last part with the disappearing and reappearing stones is goddamn hard, but everything else before that I've got good enough with practice), but I finally beat that too. Then it took me awhile to get good enough to do that entire route without losing more than one continue so I could continue to F57, and now I'm stuck. I've died about 327 times on this level and have only been able to get past the 6 bottom columns, never even made it to the top portion. This is probably the hardest level for me yet, and I've pretty much hit a wall here, as the only things I need to do now are beat F57 path, F42 path, F49 path, and unlock 4 achievements (beat F0 in <10 sec, reach and beat all fields, collect all backpacks). This is hard b/c F57, F42, and F49 are ridiculously hard to get past, these remind me of Mario-Maker levels.

So I might put the game down for a bit and get back into it sometime in the future, but I'm pretty proud anyways for the progress I've made so far in this game. I do appreciate how challenging Shun is; it's not afraid to be insanely hard. Overrall, I like Shun for the challenge, Umihara Kawase for the funnest physics and vibe, and Sayonara for being the fairest in overall difficulty and the numerous quality of life changes it has there (numbers on the doors, progressing through level select, a limited but good enough checkpoint system, etc). Love this series, and if anyone has any tips for the aforementioned levels, please let me know!

Alc

Quote from: Sper on May 24, 2020, 11:25:50 PMI do appreciate how challenging Shun is; it%u2019s not afraid to be insanely hard.
Well, you've got successive extra "challenge" fields, remember - some added in Second Edition, some added in Kanzenban. If you tracked down a copy of the original Shun you'd find the difficulty curve somewhat more manageable ;)

QuoteOverrall, I like Shun for the challenge, Umihara Kawase for the funnest physics and vibe, and Sayonara for being the fairest in overall difficulty and the numerous quality of life changes it has there (numbers on the doors, progressing through level select, a limited but good enough checkpoint system, etc).
I think that's spot on.

Push comes to shove, I'd say the original is my favourite, warts and all.

QuoteLove this series, and if anyone has any tips for the aforementioned levels, please let me know!
A slightly rude observation here, but on YouTube there's a channel called UmiharaKawaseRuns (or something similar) which demonstrate how to get to exits. A lot of the harder ones they get through with dangerous luck or just unnecessary techniques. Don't limit yourself to techniques seen on YouTube, I guess is my point. Not wishing to cast shade on that youtuber, they did a lot of work back in the day.