• Welcome to KawaseFan.net Forum.

What are your opinions on Fresh?

Started by Whendaleksattack, November 01, 2019, 01:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whendaleksattack

I've seen reviews of this game on GameFAQs (the Reader review) and on Nintendo Life earlier this month, and I'm a bit concerned about how they were rated. I've yet to pick up the game, but I have seen a bit of footage around the internet, and my thoughts are a bit mixed. I like that they added a health bar to the game (saves me the frustration of Shun), but also I find it very silly that they added a hunger bar to a platformer, let alone a Umihara Kawase game. Overall, I'm probably going to wait for a price drop until I pick it up (there are better ways to waste $50), but those are my opinions so far. What are yours?

Princess Rescuer

You can see what mine are already.

I thought the game was disappointing. Certainly not nearly as deep or challenging as the other games. Felt more like a tedious fetch quest really. The game couldn't even sell on the Switch, and with publicly available Western physical copies.

Plus has been out on Vita for a while now. Check that one out.

Whendaleksattack

Yeah, I've seen a few preview copies at a local store, but nothing else for this game. I just saw a playthrough of the game (up until the first boss) and I was stunned about how tedious the game actually was, with all of those "deliver this/grab this item" missions, FOR PRETTY MUCH THE WHOLE TIME. One particular mission has you trying to collect nuts from a certain enemy who spits them out for a kid, but when you do collect them, the kid just rejects them, which makes the mission just a complete waste of time. Also the story... what story? There is barely much to it, and I think it was pretty much an afterthought. The hunger bar also was probably added just to add some artificial difficulty to this game.

On a more positive side, I love the artwork in this game (Kawase herself looks adorable) and the music (from what I heard) ain't too bad, though not as grand and catchy as the original or Shun (speaking of which, they reuse one of the tracks from Shun for the result screen). 

There was also a collector's version for Fresh too (in Japan only, I think) that looked like the box for the original game, so I guess they put their resources into that as well, but it's a shame that the game itself is a disappointment.

But hey, at least it's not as bad/broken like that thing on the PSP.

Princess Rescuer

This game is TECHNICALLY more tolerable than the PSP one, but that's all it is- tolerable. The PSP one was fixed in future remakes and the previous versions of it from generations earlier were already good. Fresh on the other hand? There's no fixing this game- you would have to overhaul the entire experience to the point of being unrecognizable.

KawaseFan

I wasn't really a huge fan of Fresh either (probably not to the same level as Princess Rescuer, but anyway).

For the most part, I didn't think the level design had the same quality as previous games.  Some of the later quests felt like 'here's the exact same quest you've done before, but now there are more enemies', which seemed like blatant padding of game length to me.  Additionally, while the hunger bar really should never have been included, it's made worse by the fact that some later quests start with a reduced hunger bar.

Whendaleksattack

I also find it odd how there was a PS4 port announced a while ago, but strangely no PC port as well (as pretty much all the previous games have a PC version on Steam, including the upcoming Bazooka game).

Very strange.

Alc

Rescuer is being too hard on this game, IMO. It doesn't make sense to compare it to UK PSP - that game is fundamentally broken, Fresh merely suffers from bad design.

Point being, nobody loved the PSP game, because it's so fucked you can't really play it. By contrast, I imagine that Fresh appeals quite a lot to some players (I know there's a good bit of competition on the speedrun leaderboards, which there never was for the PSP game). Fresh certainly has many problems: the story is an afterthought and each quest is basically "Start here, go here, then here", and in general the open world setting compares poorly to the polished individual level design of the previous entries. You'd have to make your own fun in Fresh, speedrunning ILs or whatever, but when all's said and done the engine is still the same great game engine that was in Sayonara. I'd also make the case that "making your own fun" and just playing around with the physics has always been a part of the Umihara Kawase games, at least once you've conquered the levels.

Quote from: WhendaleksattackI also find it odd how there was a PS4 port announced a while ago, but strangely no PC port as well (as pretty much all the previous games have a PC version on Steam, including the upcoming Bazooka game).
I really hope it comes to PC, because Fresh could really do with a mod to remove the Hunger bar. This would be a band-aid though - like Rescuer says, you'd have to change the entire game design to "fix" Fresh's problems.

Whendaleksattack

Yeah, mods would definitely be useful should this game come to PC. I don't know about any other mods for the other Steam releases though, but perhaps if this game does come to PC, then maybe this game will be good (though it'll have to be nearly completely overhauled).

Alc

Quote from: Whendaleksattack on November 04, 2019, 05:02:05 PMI don't know about any other mods for the other Steam releases though
People here were poking around in the Steam game's files. There's a thread on "umires.arc" (the archive for the game data) that dives pretty deep, if you're interested, and Naulahauta had another thread for his adventures with Shun on PC.

Quotebut perhaps if this game does come to PC, then maybe this game will be good (though it'll have to be nearly completely overhauled).
Eh, Studio Saizensen probably want to just shuffle Fresh into the back catalogue ASAP and move onto the next game, there's no way they're going to do any work on a Steam version beyond a straight port.

KawaseFan

Quote from: Whendaleksattack on November 04, 2019, 02:45:42 PM
I also find it odd how there was a PS4 port announced a while ago, but strangely no PC port as well (as pretty much all the previous games have a PC version on Steam, including the upcoming Bazooka game).

Very strange.

I, too, was surprised at the lack of PC version announcement, but now I'm not sure whether to expect any PC version in the future.  You'd have fewer sales due to people who would've bought a more timely PC release buying the Switch or PS4 versions instead (besides suckers like me who would double-dip) and the game's somewhat mixed reputation turning some people away.  I'd certainly still like to see a PC version, but at this point, it might be better for them to move on after the PS4 version's release.

Princess Rescuer

I will say this about Fresh: I was at least excited that a new game was being made, thinking Sayonara would be the last.

With Bazooka, I'm not even excited for that game. It's another crossover spin-off game, and the thing that concerns me is that it's being banged out very quickly. Only one year after Fresh! Even remakes took more than one year to come out. It makes me wonder what kind of rushed, content-bereft game Bazooka will be. Plus, the premise of making a Smash-esque fighting game just feels misguided. At least Fresh will still be just as playable in the future. Good luck finding someone to play Bazooka with you a month after that game is out. All you will be stuck with are the AI bots which will never provide as interesting of an experience.

I've played enough of the first three games and I'm not really excited for anything that's coming up. I just don't think the design will be as interesting. The series is going through an awkward phase, experimenting with spin-offs, gimmicks, and "accessibility", and I don't know when that's going to end and it can go back to being traditional. Just let it be what it is. Trend-chasing will do the series no favors.

Whendaleksattack

They also seem to be re-using some tracks from Sayonara (notably the 3rd music track from Sayonara for the cutscene music) for Fresh, just noticed that as I just bought it from Steam (and I'm loving it).

Speaking of music, that is probably the best part of the game in my opinion. I really like the music for the first few missions (I should really find a YT playlist for the music), and I think the Sayonara music fits well with Fresh's (very few) originals. Despite this, the inclusion of Shun music doesn't really fit very well for me, and the new tracks are good, but as stated earlier, aren't as great as the other 3 games in my opinion.

I also mentioned earlier that there was a collector's edition of Fresh that was released in Japan only, complete with a cute SFC box that mimics the original game's box. I actually really like this design (maybe they made it in celebration of the 25th anniversary of UK, since it is this year), though I'll probably pass on getting it. What do you think? 

Princess Rescuer

Frankly, I'm glad I didn't spend more money on this game. And I'm glad I didn't associate it with the vastly superior Super Famicom game. I'm happy I downloaded it and it was therefore easier to get rid of.

I'm going to be cautious about Bazooka. I'm going to see what the game is like first. I might still buy it, but at a discounted price and later. Possibly after patches/DLC/a special edition.

KawaseFan

Quote from: Princess Rescuer on November 22, 2019, 02:41:25 PM
I'm happy I downloaded it and it was therefore easier to get rid of.

Actually not true!  If you had bought a physical copy, you could've resold it to get some money back, or you could've thrown it into the trash or out a window (or however you'd prefer to dispose of it).  Because you bought it from the eShop, though, it's stuck on your Nintendo Account forever. :D

Whendaleksattack

Yep, that's the reason why I'm preferring to grab a physical copy of Fresh compared to the digital eShop version. Not only do you get the better return policy on games (though I think there is a way to refund eShop-downloaded games, but I forget exactly where), but you also get that adorable cover art and who doesn't like that?

...ok probably not.

Speaking of covers, I'm hoping that if I do get a physical copy of Fresh, I'll probably see if I can get it scanned. I've got a cheap printer at my house, though some of the stuff I've tested so far looks decent to pretty good. Might give it a test run with some other Switch covers in a day or two just to get confirmation on how well it scans it.

Gorillanator

On a positive note, I did like the bosses. They will still kind of poorly designed, but it was funny watching Umi bounce around like a ball tied to a paddle. Also, Cotton's side quest had some nice music and a funny cut-scene at the end.

Canvas

It was on sale for 10 bux on switch so I bought it expecting the worst. I haven't played too much yet. The hunger mechanic seems to simply function as a time limit with an added crafting gameloop, it doesn't seem so important either way so thats exceeded my expectations. Movement feels good, aesthetically its pleasing, I even find it charming. I like that they tried to expand more on the character, and added in land animals and such as enemies. I found a secret entrance to the tadpole boss and just beat F42 of UK1. Quest mode seems sort of repetitive but its still fun, I hope it gets harder

summer kawase

would you recomend it for somebody trying to improve their rubbering action technique in the old games? prehaps the more forgiving leval desingh/ multiple paths and less spawning fish makes for a fun enviroment to practice.
kawase for smash

KawaseFan

Firstly, just to be clear, I absolutely do not recommend the PC version.

Fresh's physics are mostly similar to Sayonara's, and Fresh is probably an easier game overall than Sayonara, especially with the health bar -- the really hard stuff seemed to be saved for the challenge mode (which, in all honestly, I did not bother finishing).  I just find it hard to recommend Fresh in this case because, even if it's not a bad game, I didn't like it as much as the older games, and I wouldn't really feel great about recommending it for practicing purposes if it turns out you don't really like it as much either.

(If anyone else has anything to add or a different opinion, feel free to post that.)

Aigoo

Quote from: summer kawase on January 03, 2021, 02:44:28 PM
would you recommend it for somebody trying to improve their rubbering action technique in the old games? prehaps the more forgiving leval desingh/ multiple paths and less spawning fish makes for a fun enviroment to practice.

I would recommend it for anyone trying to improve their technique from my experience with Fresh.

My first time with the series was with Sayonara. However, I never really mastered the different techniques. I didn't really get too far in that game. However, that changed once Fresh came out. I was able to mess around with it and improve my understanding of the game greatly. It led to me improving technique in the older games. I imported Shun on the DS after beating Fresh and I was able to easily complete several different paths. I also went back to my copy of Sayonara and was able to 100% by getting all the endings and backpacks. Something I thought I would never be able to do back in 2013. And, I believe it thanks to Fresh for allowing me to experiment in an open level world.

summer kawase

oh nice, i also have interest because of some of the ost
kawase for smash