Author Topic: ROM Hacking?  (Read 14278 times)

Offline Commando125

Re: ROM Hacking?
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2016, 02:38:21 PM »
I think those 16 word bytes are affecting enemy spawn rates. I'm not sure why though.

Offline Commando125

« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2016, 03:54:26 PM »
Ok, those four "word" bytes are enemy spawn rates for enemy types 0 to 3. Editing the value changes how often/little it spawns. I think we have enough to consider getting a ROM hack started. At least making some of the levels. We have 48 headers and levels to play with, which should be a fine amount. I can add custom graphics in the blank spots in the compressed graphics banks, edit title screen/game over, possibly hack in more levels/headers, and maybe edit credits if I can read japanese symbols.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ifsn6tq740g6261/Riverback_v0_1_rc0.zip?dl=0
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 03:56:00 PM by Commando125 »

Offline Commando125

« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2016, 02:40:49 PM »
I decided that I'm going to add keyboard shortcuts to the editor before I start. Once I find some free time. If you want a certain shortcut to be a certain keypress, let me know.

Offline Commando125

« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2016, 08:31:21 PM »
@Naulahauta

How did you run the editor under a Mac? I noticed some graphic issues in the screenshots.

Offline Commando125

« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2016, 05:41:59 PM »
Under compiling the editor for Mono under Linux kernel, There are some severe errors with the pictureBox sizes. If you use Linux, run this program in WINE.

Offline Commando125

« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2016, 06:16:12 AM »
I fixed the PictureBox size bug in Linux's Mono, fixed a severe selection bug, and added a couple keyboard shortcuts.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m084yi541t9kxlk/Riverback_v0_1_1.zip?dl=0

Offline Devyat

« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2016, 04:56:35 AM »
Is this project still alive?. I can't help you guys because both my english and my programming skills are pretty bad.
However, i find what you are doing really fascinating.

Offline Commando125

« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2016, 04:35:44 AM »
It's alive. I just don't have as much free time right now. And I don't know what to do next.

Offline Commando125

« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2016, 05:29:55 AM »
Starting to mess around with the first level. There is a severe bug in the index tile editor, do not use the tile index editor until next release.

Offline Commando125

« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2016, 06:52:08 AM »
Hey again. If you guys want to play around with a rom hack still, make sure to use this version for now: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=3CD90919322C51ED!9376&authkey=!AAEsN4VHGiuc5_U&ithint=file%2czip. I added some keyboard shortcuts and made editing the levels easier by rearranging the tileset tiles to match where the index tiles are. The keyboard shortcuts are:
ctrl + left/right: Palette
left/right/up/down: Select tile next to the currently selected tile in the tileset
1/2/3/4 (not numpad): View tileset/physmap/etc.
V: vertical flip
H: horizontal flip
O: object priority
D: deselect
Tab: Switch between editing tilemap and physmap

I have another project in mind that could help a site that I participate on, so features might be frozen. If there is a serious bug, let me know.

Offline texh

« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2016, 05:52:18 PM »
Oh damn, it works!

Just a quick question, is there any way to select a whole tile instead of right clicking it by one one so you can copy paste the whole tree at once for example?

Offline Commando125

« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2016, 06:21:18 AM »
You hold left click on the level area to select an area on the level. You hold left click and move the mouse pointer when not selecting a tile on the level area to "paint" tiles on the level.

Offline Princess Rescuer

« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2016, 09:43:09 PM »
Wow, this seems uh... pretty involved. Definitely not as simple as Super Mario World romhacks. Shows how exquisitely designed the game is. I'd like to see this become a thing so I can buy a flashcart and never have to buy another game again.

Offline Canvas

« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2016, 09:04:09 AM »
This is amazing, I will try my hand at making a small mapset and maybe a guide of some sort

Offline Canvas

« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2016, 02:04:57 PM »
I have spent a week learning this editor and have made a single level and plan to make more. I have also been writing down everything someone would need to know including quoting from here as a sort of manual.
http://pastebin.com/z5GQLk7S
It needs to be rewritten to be less confusing, starting with the GUI and probably ending with objects. I will very likely also make a video tutorial which will hopefully help visual learners too. I want to get a full blown romhack started so if you are interested message me and we can plan something out.

I am also making a romhack. I have only made one map (going to see some changes) which you can find in the pastebin, you will need to import it with Riverback.

Also please add some way to increase the grid size my eyes are killing me its so tiny
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 07:53:26 AM by Canvas »

Offline KawaseFan

• KawaseFan.net
« Reply #115 on: August 08, 2016, 11:44:00 AM »
I like your level.  I agree with your thoughts that it may be better placed a little later in the game; maybe in the 10s or 20s.  It's not too hard, but just a bit harder than a usual early field, I think.  Then again, it might depend on how hard it is compared to all of the other fields in the finished ROM hack!

Sorry to do this, but could you possibly replace the ROM link with a link to a patch?  I appreciate that you've made only your own field playable, but the rest of the game is still buried in there, and I'd rather not have links to ROM files here, due to the legality issues.

In the next week I'll add some information to the site's Umihara Kawase page regarding the ROM hacking.  Really, I should've done that ages ago.  In the future, I'd like to have a page on the site with information on the ROM hacks people make.

Offline Alc

« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2016, 05:40:26 PM »
Instead of a link directly to the ROM, why not shift the link into the next pastebin? That way we don't have to worry about this site's legal responsibilities. Patches are a nuisance.

Going to check out the ROM later, thanks Canvas!

Offline Canvas

« Reply #117 on: August 13, 2016, 01:28:21 AM »
I went ahead and made it a patch you could import into the original ROM but that wont be how I will do the final release unless there is an easier way to import maps by then. Since it's one map though I don't think its a problem yet but hopefully I will have dozens by the end or even bigger (DREAM BIG).

Ive changed it up a good 4 times in the past 4 hours so redownload it again if you have problems. Also updated pastebin with more, and more accurate, information. Outlined three more maps, will make my own thread soon
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 08:02:11 AM by Canvas »

Offline texh

« Reply #118 on: August 14, 2016, 12:46:52 AM »
Man that guide has been super useful!

Made this to try things out for a bit, pretty challenging one.

Offline KawaseFan

• KawaseFan.net
« Reply #119 on: August 14, 2016, 02:37:50 PM »
Cool!  I'm not sure what you'd consider a good clear/fail ratio for this, but I failed thirteen times before clearing it.

Offline Commando125

« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2016, 03:31:31 AM »
Hello again.

The editor does need rewritten. In more places than just the user interface. Looking back when working recently, I see all sorts of issues in the editor code. I probably did not think of the user enough in mind when designing the interface. Even worse that there's no documentation for it.

I'm glad someone is making a rom hack with my editor. Let me know if help is needed.

The editor expands the rom to 2048KB to have more room for levels (the levels in the original game have very compressed levels). I think the rom needs expanded to 2048KB before applying an IPS patch. UPS patch should work fine on an uncompressed rom.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 03:36:02 AM by Commando125 »

Offline texh

« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2016, 01:32:13 PM »
Is there any way to try levels beyond the first one? Let's say I edit the second field but if I want to test it, I would have to get past the first one over and over again.

I thought about making second field as first one in different ROM and then just import it to the initial one but according to Canvas's pastebin it's not possible. The first field just gets overwritten. Maybe you know a way around this?
If you make a level and export it, then import the level, it will always replace the level it was initially on AND the current visible level.

Also I don't think this is currently possible but would make for amazing addition in the next version. If you could select area in Field Tiles (ie whole carrot or door) and paste that into Field Display it would save so much time. Honestly just copy pasting tile after tile was the most time consuming part of the "hack".

Cool!  I'm not sure what you'd consider a good clear/fail ratio for this, but I failed thirteen times before clearing it.
Thanks for trying it out! I don't really know what kind of clear/fail ratio I'd expect but I had my brother try it out and he just ragequitted after falling off the bottom right block hh

Offline Commando125

« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2016, 05:38:11 AM »
Is there any way to try levels beyond the first one? Let's say I edit the second field but if I want to test it, I would have to get past the first one over and over again.

How I test levels beyond the first is to enter the level number (in hexadecimal) at location $7E025B in ram, but most people wouldn't get how to do this. I use bsnes and its hex editor in the debugger.

I would just make the first level extremely short, with warp doors or something, and have it point to the level you want to test.

I thought about making second field as first one in different ROM and then just import it to the initial one but according to Canvas's pastebin it's not possible. The first field just gets overwritten. Maybe you know a way around this?

To make the second field the first one: Export the first (so you have a backup of the first level) and second fields to a level file. Import the second field's level on the first field.

Also I don't think this is currently possible but would make for amazing addition in the next version. If you could select area in Field Tiles (ie whole carrot or door) and paste that into Field Display it would save so much time. Honestly just copy pasting tile after tile was the most time consuming part of the "hack".

If I find time, I will consider adding that feature in. It is difficult to do with how the editor is setup.

I'll try to visit /vr/ more often.

Offline Canvas

« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2016, 08:55:02 AM »
I have been having a good enough time with the editor but haven't even started adding in any complex graphics. It's a pain in the ass as texh already said, I am not looking forward to it. I have been working daily on the mapset, but work is slow still as I am also trying to get into the head of the developers, figure out why they do certain things and put that knowledge to fun use. I have decided to not make a thread until it is finished, I don't know how Studio Saizensen handle modding but I don't want to figure out before it is finished

I will still update pastebin if I can, right now I am focusing on texture directions for reference and will maybe have something again soon. Until then, see ya

Offline Commando125

« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2016, 04:52:41 AM »
Have you tried changing the palette numbers in the level settings? I noticed that your level had a few graphics tiles that had the wrong palette compared to the original game.

Offline Canvas

« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2016, 11:02:42 AM »
Yeah, when I made that I was thinking red lettuce for whatever reason, but I have noticed that isn't how it is used in the game and doesn't look enough like red lettuce either. I have just fixed it, luckily with how palettes work I don't have to fucking redraw it. Palette A is a good lettuce. Right now I am focusing on new levels though, I have created a new first boss level and it is devious

Offline texh

« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2016, 07:23:54 PM »
Made another one, could be better but for now I'm done with it. (that grid size holly molly)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 12:16:38 AM by texh »

Offline Commando125

« Reply #127 on: August 31, 2016, 07:13:01 AM »
Make sure to back up your levels and rom when you use the editor. I think there is a bug in it that saves palette number indexes as 0 when exporting levels, crashing the editor.

The editor really does need a rewrite; it is rushed and not very well planned at the time.

I have attached old notes I have while making the editor and figuring out data for the game. It probably won't make sense at first since I compiled the information for myself. Maybe it will help in some way.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au1RLDIZCdk8g_MlxYQcnipOVb5sKg

I have released a new Riverback version. The hotkeys for the show checkboxes are now bound to ctrl + 1-4. The level editor is now zoomed in 2x instead of 1x. This version contains a bugfix where unused level data from old levels (when saving your edited new levels) was not cleared out. Due to this, it is highly recommended to export and import all your levels on your current Umihara Kawase roms onto a fresh Umihara Kawase rom. Let me know if any bugs occur, especially if they differ from the previous version. Link is below.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au1RLDIZCdk8ySABLDeFRxornOf1

Offline Commando125

« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2016, 05:37:43 AM »
If you downloaded the link in the previous post, please re-download it. The bug wasn't completely fixed. Thanks.

Offline Canvas

« Reply #129 on: September 03, 2016, 08:11:34 PM »
Thanks a lot this is much easier

Offline Canvas

« Reply #130 on: September 05, 2016, 03:08:53 PM »
Actually this gives me a different issue, I can't see from a birds eye view lmao which makes it difficult to draw new maps. I figured I could just use the old version but it is also zoomed in now, is there a config file somewhere?

Offline KawaseFan

• KawaseFan.net
« Reply #131 on: October 18, 2016, 09:33:14 AM »
I've put up a page: http://kawasefan.net/umihara-kawase-level-editing

I'm sorry that it took me until two months after "next week" to do it.

There isn't much on the page at the moment, while I figure out how much information it should have, and possibly improve the wording in some places.  I've included the Riverback download link, as well as a link back to this thread.  I intend for the page to have information on ROM hacks made with Riverback, so I'll add information on Uku when it's completed.  Feedback or suggestions regarding page content are welcome.

Commando125, again, much appreciated that you've spent your time working on Riverback.

Offline Canvas

« Reply #132 on: October 19, 2016, 10:18:22 PM »
The editor does need rewritten. In more places than just the user interface. Looking back when working recently, I see all sorts of issues in the editor code. I probably did not think of the user enough in mind when designing the interface. Even worse that there's no documentation for it.
I just realized you probably were referring to this post;

It needs to be rewritten to be less confusing, starting with the GUI and probably ending with objects.
I meant that I needed to rewrite the pastebin sometime to be less confusing, Riverback itself isn't that difficult to understand actually and has a very nice GUI outside the view area. Speaking of which I haven't been able to draw any new levels since it got zoomed in. Not being able to zoom out and see everything makes it much more difficult create a level based on my drawings and the limitations of the game. I really need a solution to this to even continue and I don't know where the fuck to look in the registry to find what I could only assume to be a global setting of some sort to change this setting

Offline Canvas

« Reply #133 on: October 19, 2016, 10:46:13 PM »
I intend for the page to have information on ROM hacks made with Riverback, so I'll add information on Uku when it's completed
I am not humble, I am already pretty proud of the 5 levels I have made and the 2 provided by texh, and you bet I am going to be boiling in ego toward the end even if nobody bothers to try Uku but I wouldn't feel comfortable with it on the level editing page. If modding explodes I want something like the Quaddicted Quake mod fansite but until then I wanna to stick to the forums

Offline Commando125

« Reply #134 on: October 21, 2016, 06:38:27 AM »
I meant that I needed to rewrite the pastebin sometime to be less confusing, Riverback itself isn't that difficult to understand actually and has a very nice GUI outside the view area. Speaking of which I haven't been able to draw any new levels since it got zoomed in. Not being able to zoom out and see everything makes it much more difficult create a level based on my drawings and the limitations of the game. I really need a solution to this to even continue and I don't know where the fuck to look in the registry to find what I could only assume to be a global setting of some sort to change this setting

Sorry to miss your reply, I have been busy with work lately. Here's a 1x version. All I did is modify a variable from 2.0f to 1.0f and change the level's bitmap size in the GUI editor. I didn't fully test it though, so keep backups. https://www.dropbox.com/s/dh50a6erh272pzq/riverback%20-%201x.zip?dl=0

« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 06:42:14 AM by Commando125 »

Offline Canvas

« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2016, 01:29:57 PM »
Thank you for the update. I have issues when I try and add solid ground. For example, selecting byte 40. Top left wont show it is selected, and if I try and draw with it I get a tinier grid. If I view maps I have already drawn with physmap shown it will show some wacky stuff as well. I will continue editing my existing maps and maybe remake an old one or two in the meantime, there is no rush so mess with it when you have time, I just needed some communication

Offline Commando125

« Reply #136 on: October 23, 2016, 02:07:41 AM »
Redownload the zip file; it should be fixed.

Offline Commando125

« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2017, 11:45:34 PM »
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hk6zw6pho0r5jw/Riverback.zip?dl=0

There was an area of memory I reserved for levels that shouldn't have been reserved for levels.

Offline Canvas

« Reply #138 on: August 22, 2017, 06:39:44 PM »
I am not sure how helpful it will be but I said I would make it so I have, here is a video tutorial to go along with the most recent UMIPASTA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYihG2_Ooac
https://pastebin.com/e7aXAVK6

I have been posting the latest UMIPASTA in the Uku thread but I feel like it would be more appropriate here. Still though I have an anchor post in the Uku thread so it should remain updated