• Welcome to KawaseFan.net Forum.

News:

Forum user registration is currently disabled.

Main Menu

Ebay/Yahoo Auctions General

Started by badlose, October 04, 2014, 09:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badlose

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Umihara-Kawase-Super-Nintendo-1994-/251660004072?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3a981aeae8

u wot? I must have missed that there was an NA release!

dat Shun artwork on the cart

-----

Fakery aside, it would be cool to play it on an actual NA SNES.

Electric Lady

Loving the stock Windows font on the cartridge, too.

This wouldn't even be a problem if they sold it as a reproduction cart that was playable on NTSC-U systems. There's a big market for that, anyway. But they seem to know so little about the game. What was the motivation here? Were they trying to nail some sucker who thought they were getting some Rare Goods?

I actually hope that the guy who bought the game is someone who's never heard of it before and gets enlightened...but knowing Umihara's international fanbase, it was probably someone on this forum. Whover the guy is, he's lucky for getting such a good deal.

KawaseFan

Yeah, they definitely should've said it was a reproduction cart.

Featuring a boy.  Amazing.

Nicole

Yeah... it gets worse. Looks like they nabbed the description from IGN. Which was then reiterated for the description of Shun (which is referred to as a "remake"...). And then re-reiterated for the description of Shun ~Second Edition~ (which is referred to as a sequel to Shun. Enough said.) And the same description was used for Kanzenban, which basically means Yumi's Odd Odyssey is the only game whose description wasn't horribly butchered.

The sad thing is, I've seen Umihara mistaken as a boy before, and from a completely different source. There was a minor edit war between a person called "Tempest Tales" and... everyone else, really, where Tempest Tales seemed to be under the impression that Umihara was a boy and everyone else was wrong. But, you know, obscure foreign game series, not much English-language information out there... mistakes happen, right? Except that Tempest Tales is Japanese...

It's kind of baffling that Umihara would be mistaken for male so often despite her giant boobs. The seller should've at least been clued-in when they 'shopped together that cartridge art at the very least. I can only assume it's either the short hair (which, from my own experience drawing characters, somehow takes precedence over boobs for many people), or from only seeing her in-game sprites.

EDIT: Okay, I actually forgot about Umihara Kawase Portable's existence entirely (probably for the best...), but anyway, it's listed here, under the title "Yumi's Odd Odyssey", which makes sense as it was nearly localized under that title. It's also listed as an alternate release of the first game... not Shun......

badlose

Emailed the auction company with:
Quote"This game was never released in North America, nor in English. What's the deal? Reproduction cart based off the English patched ROM?"

They replied with:
Quote"We're sorry, yes. This item should should have specified that it was a reproduction."

mfgreth

Quote from: badlose on October 07, 2014, 01:35:04 AM
Quote"This game was never released in North America, nor in English. What's the deal? Reproduction cart based off the English patched ROM?"

They replied with:
Quote"We're sorry, yes. This item should should have specified that it was a reproduction."

At least they were honest when asked about it.

Still...

KawaseFan

Quote from: Nicole on October 05, 2014, 07:24:16 AM
Yeah... it gets worse. Looks like they nabbed the description from IGN. Which was then reiterated for the description of Shun (which is referred to as a "remake"...). And then re-reiterated for the description of Shun ~Second Edition~ (which is referred to as a sequel to Shun. Enough said.) And the same description was used for Kanzenban, which basically means Yumi's Odd Odyssey is the only game whose description wasn't horribly butchered.

The sad thing is, I've seen Umihara mistaken as a boy before, and from a completely different source. There was a minor edit war between a person called "Tempest Tales" and... everyone else, really, where Tempest Tales seemed to be under the impression that Umihara was a boy and everyone else was wrong. But, you know, obscure foreign game series, not much English-language information out there... mistakes happen, right? Except that Tempest Tales is Japanese...

It's kind of baffling that Umihara would be mistaken for male so often despite her giant boobs. The seller should've at least been clued-in when they 'shopped together that cartridge art at the very least. I can only assume it's either the short hair (which, from my own experience drawing characters, somehow takes precedence over boobs for many people), or from only seeing her in-game sprites.

EDIT: Okay, I actually forgot about Umihara Kawase Portable's existence entirely (probably for the best...), but anyway, it's listed here, under the title "Yumi's Odd Odyssey", which makes sense as it was nearly localized under that title. It's also listed as an alternate release of the first game... not Shun......
I wonder if IGN would correct that.  I realise they probably wouldn't care much since the games are old and were never released outside of Japan, but they should still try not to be so horribly wrong.

Quote from: badlose on October 07, 2014, 01:35:04 AM

They replied with:
Great of them to admit their mistake after they've already sold it.

KawaseFan

Does anyone know how I could go about scanning a B2-sized poster which is way too big for the scanner I have, so I could have a decent image to put with the page I'd put up on the site?

No reason in particular.

Maybe I should take a photo of it.

Nicole

Large format scanning services exist, but it's hard to find any definite prices on it since they don't seem to charge a flat rate, so I dunno there. Scanning the poster in parts and stitching them together might be an option, though that'd be pretty finicky.

KawaseFan

Thank you for that suggestion, I'll try to research those kind of scanning services when the poster arrives.  Hopefully I can find a good one that doesn't cost too much.

KawaseFan

Who wants a sealed copy of ~Second Edition~?

Come on now, it'll only set you back $500!

KawaseFan

Ha, yep.  They still have it as a "3D Hunting" game series, too.

---

I don't even have anywhere to put this.

badlose

^
Score!

What did you end up paying for that?

KawaseFan

I ended up paying around $55

Expensive, yes, but the shipping costs added up, and I also paid for extra packaging to make sure it wouldn't get damaged.

KawaseFan

Who wants a huge Umihara Kawase collection?

As much as I'd love to have the TECH PlayStation and DenSen demo movie discs, there's no way I could possibly justify paying that much just to have them.

badlose

Oh my.

Maybe if I made about double what I make now I'd think about it, haha.

KawaseFan

So I made an agreement with my brother - he'll pay for half, and get everything I already have.

Expect information pages on the TECH PlayStation CDs and DenSen to go up on the site within the next month.

KawaseFan

I had a delivery today.

gori.sh

chirari/plus TimeAttack Board http://gori.sh/chirari/

texh

KawaseFan

I forgot to post yesterday that I'm bidding on a Chirari promo poster which has popped up on Yahoo Auctions.

Which reminds me, I forgot to put a page up for that Shun promo poster.  I'm way behind on putting the DenSen page up, too.

KawaseFan

But I just bought one of these posters a few days ago!  Aw, I should have waited.

Well, there's the YAJ link in case anyone else is interested.  Hopefully one day someone puts the other poster up for sale by itself.

And another set!

Edit: on further research it's one double-sided poster.  Whoops!  Here's another one.

KawaseFan

The poster arrived on Tuesday, finally today I had a chance to take pictures.

KawaseFan

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UMIHARA-KAWASE-SNES-SUPER-FAMICOM-NINTENDO-CASE-INSERT-USA-SELLER-/131440686832?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e9a79b6f0
Kind of interesting to see a custom case that uses fanart.  At least more interesting than this one:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SNES-Umihara-Kawase-CUSTOM-ART-INSERT-CASE-NO-GAME-/371277616106?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5671ded3ea
which just reuses the Shun cover art.

I don't suppose anyone feels like yelling at eBay about the 'featuring a boy' / '3D hunting' stuff and seeing if they care at all?  Or will we just let them keep being wrong?

CyanideBlizzard

My word, KawaseFan, that Umi-chan swag!

I've been slowly trying to acquire what I can, and it's good to know that I've got a basis I can work off of for what I need to collect. 

So far, I've got the games.  Now, it's just a matter of tracking down the art materials, soundtracks, strategy guides and whatever else.  However, it seems those TECH Playstation discs are extremely rare and by far the most challenging to locate.

KawaseFan

I can help keep a look out for things you need if you'd like.

CyanideBlizzard

Oh goodness, that would be incredibly kind of you though I would feel rather guilty about that.

The thought alone means a lot to me, so thank you.  Someday, I'll be able to compete with your collection!

Alc

Quote from: KawaseFan on January 05, 2015, 06:43:38 AM
I had a delivery today.
My god! What a haul.

And yeah, when I was trawling YJA back in the day looking for UK-related stuff the TECH discs seemed to be impossible to find. I guess I would've paid a decent sum for them (on top of the usual scalping from the middleman) but I don't remember them ever coming up.

CyanideBlizzard

Quote from: Alc on May 07, 2015, 03:55:05 PM

And yeah, when I was trawling YJA back in the day looking for UK-related stuff the TECH discs seemed to be impossible to find. I guess I would've paid a decent sum for them (on top of the usual scalping from the middleman) but I don't remember them ever coming up.

Not going to lie, that does scare me.  If, however long ago that may of been, they were difficult to find then I can only imagine that they're just as hard if not harder to find now.  Perhaps I'll have to settle for the fact that I won't be able to get my hands on them unless some rare opportunity.

Nonetheless, I am really glad to know that though.  Now I can work around that.

Alc

Good hunting! On the plus side, since they're magazine demos, I guess there's always a chance you'll find a bundle for next to nothing. Hope you have better luck than I did, anyway.

KawaseFan, what are the two CDs in the top right of your swag photo? And do you have the Hyutec 31 Omake doujin CD?

KawaseFan

The top one is a CD-ROM that originally came with volume 1 of Sony Magazines' Memory Card Data Book, which includes some Umihara Kawase Shun replay data.

The one below is issue 2 of the CD-ROM magazine PlayPlayPLUS, which includes a demo video of DenSen, which, for anyone interested in seeing it, has been uploaded to YouTube by texh.

No, I don't have the Hyutec 31 Omake CD, I did see it available once on suruga-ya but from memory it wasn't available for long.

Alc

I'd never seen or heard of DenSen, that's fascinating. Let's hope the prototype makes it out into the wild one of these days...

Also spotted this on ebay:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Umihara-Kawase-Shun-Premium-PS1-DVD-Case-NO-GAME-DISC-INCLUDED-/161674158967
It's obviously fake/"repro"/whatever, but I'm not sure why anyone would buy it...

CyanideBlizzard

Alc : I think that's going to be the toughest part, is finding a combination pack.  Outside of a complete listing like what KawaseFan was able to acquire, I think it's going to be tough hunting.  Especially since you had already tried prior to find it with no success.

However, If I see anything in general I'll be sure to post here so that anyone has a fair chance. That way, at least someone will have a chance to get it : )

gendo7

Quote from: KawaseFan on March 13, 2015, 01:29:18 PM
The poster arrived on Tuesday, finally today I had a chance to take pictures.

Man, I'd really love to have that poster up in my place. Where did you get it?

KawaseFan

I got it off Yahoo Auctions.  There's one available right now, bidding starts at ¥500.

KawaseFan

I bought this a little while ago and forgot about it.  Anyway, it arrived on Monday.  The top part has curved down slightly over the years, so I held it up for the attached photo.

I'm currently bidding on a Chirari leaflet and Umihara Kawase Portable phone card.  I'm not really sure why I bid on the leaflet, it was probably pointless, but it won't cost much, so not a huge deal.

gendo7

Crap, I missed out on that poster. :((((

Guess I'll just have to spam さよなら 海腹川背 on the seach every day until a new one pops up. xD

KawaseFan

http://page16.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u79284385

Here's a poster as well as something else from one of the preview events.

KawaseFan

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sayonara-Umihara-Kawase-Chirari-Original-Soundtrack-CD-/361305160664
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sayonara-Umihara-Kawase-Chirari-Soundtrack-DVD-Extra-Disc-/141680923073

Well, that's one way to try to make a profit - try to sell the Sayonara+ soundtrack and extra disc separately.

'Try' being the key word here, because those prices...

gendo7

Thanks for letting me know about the poster, I've put a bid down, hopefully I can take it. :)

KawaseFan

Speaking of promotional posters, here's one for Kanzenban if anyone is interested.  This is the second one of this poster that this seller has listed, and... I'll post a photo of the first one when it arrives.

There are a few of the Sayonara+ Sofmap bonus phone cards up at the moment, and, again, also a Kanzenban one.

KawaseFan

Kanzenban poster arrived yesterday.

KawaseFan

Here is another Sayonara+ poster if anyone is interested.

There are these two listings on eBay for the Shun Gamest phone card - same item, just different listings targeting the US and Europe.  Pretty pricey either way, though, I have to say.

Also, the auction ended without a bid, but can anyone explain to me why a seller would think a reproduction cart is worth a starting bid of US$55?

KawaseFan

Sorry for another consecutive post so soon, but I just saw this item available on suruga-ya and thought I'd share in case anyone is interested...

CD付)TECH Play Station 1997/6(CD-ROM1枚) テック・プレイステーション

EDIT: No longer available.

Alc

KawaseFan

I can't remember exactly, but I think it was somewhere around ¥930 or ¥960.

Alc

:(
No wonder it went so quickly...

KawaseFan

I just happened to see it at that time because I was going through my bookmarks, trying to clear out some old ones, and this search was one of them.  Of course, there are no results left there now, but if you turn on the display of out-of-stock items, you can see them listed (as well as the 1997/10 TECH PS which isn't relevant to us as far as I know, and some completely irrelevant results at the bottom), so I think it's worth keeping an eye on that search, just in case they are in stock again one day.

Alc

Thanks for the heads up, added to bookmarks.

CyanideBlizzard

Great time for those in the Western side of the world, a seller looks to be putting his entire Umihara Kawase game collection up and it looks to be in surprisingly good condition.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/crimsoncy/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from= (I figured the store page would be easier, since I was looking for text links for each game but I haven't used this format in forever and couldn't find a quick way : X)

I normally check what they've got for sale from time to time, since they seem to be one of the few sellers on the Western side of the world that isn't a business and this guy seems to collect the most random things when I noticed that he's got everything Umi-chan up on there.  It looks to also include the CDJapan release of Sayonara Umihara Kawase on Vita with the bonus fig + button.  Sadly, none of those rare discs, but a great way to get all the official releases.

I've bought from them before and found their pricing to be fair, shipping to be rather good (though they also live in the same state that I do) and a pleasure to work with. 

Heads up to anyone who's looking to get in on it from the West!

KawaseFan

QuoteMeet Umihara Kawase, she's a delightful lady who goes on adventures to catch walking fish and use her fishing lure to travel acid-enduced landscapes.
Ha!

Great to see a seller who actually shows both sides of a CD.

Anyone think they'll ever get rid of Portable, though?

CyanideBlizzard

Quote from: KawaseFan on July 28, 2015, 08:41:49 AM

I'm curious to see if they will as well.  They're selling it pretty cheap and offering free shipping, and it's not as if they're hiding the fact that it's suppose to be a bad game either.

It'll be really interesting to see if it'll end up selling.

KawaseFan

Quote from: CyanideBlizzard on July 29, 2015, 02:23:17 AM
Quote from: KawaseFan on July 28, 2015, 08:41:49 AM

I'm curious to see if they will as well.  They're selling it pretty cheap and offering free shipping, and it's not as if they're hiding the fact that it's suppose to be a bad game either.

It'll be really interesting to see if it'll end up selling.
Sold.

CyanideBlizzard

I'm not going to lie, I didn't expect Umi-chan PSP to sell before either version of Shun for PS1.  That's incredibly impressive.

KawaseFan

I'm currently bidding on a Shun ~Second Edition~ poster.  If I win, I'll post a photo as usual when it arrives.

KawaseFan

As promised.

KawaseFan

http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w127993044

This auction for four book/phone cards could get expensive.

I'd like to go for it, but I already have the bottom-left one...

KawaseFan

KawaseFan

TECH PlayStation CDs are up on Yahoo Auctions.  I wonder how much these will sell for.  Sold for ¥5,000.

KawaseFan

This Umihara Kawase figure garage kit went up on YJA two days ago.  Bidding ends in two days, started at ¥1,000 and is currently at ¥7,650.

EDIT: Sold for ¥17,000.

KawaseFan

Another figure garage kit is up on YJA, at the buy-it-now price of ¥17,800.  I do wonder if it will sell; despite being only ¥800 higher than the winning bid for the previous kit, that one at least had a low starting price to attract interest.

EDIT: Sold.

nathan

Just got a copy of "Umihara Kawase Hyper Technique" in. It was around 2000 yen on YJA, but ended up being around $32 or so after all the Buyee fees. Anyway, here's a better quality scan of the cover in case you want to use it on the site. I would scan the rest, but I only have a flatbed scanner and it's in pretty much new condition so I don't want to mess up the binding.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/66wn2rkvp0gdqa9/front.png?dl=0

KawaseFan

Oh, awesome, thank you!  I will use it -- I've never been too happy with my cover scan, this one is much better.

Alc

Quote from: nathan on April 12, 2017, 01:46:32 AM
Just got a copy of "Umihara Kawase Hyper Technique" in. It was around 2000 yen on YJA, but ended up being around $32 or so after all the Buyee fees. Anyway, here's a better quality scan of the cover in case you want to use it on the site. I would scan the rest, but I only have a flatbed scanner and it's in pretty much new condition so I don't want to mess up the binding.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/66wn2rkvp0gdqa9/front.png?dl=0
Lucky guy! Thanks for the scan.

nathan

I decided to continue the shopping spree, and buy a copy of the SFC version of the game and the doujin artbook. The game hasn't arrived yet, but the artbook has. Since there's pretty much no information about what's in the artbook online, and I don't have the ability to non-destructively scan it, I ended up taking a bunch of blurry pictures of each page using a crappy point-and-shoot, so if anyone wants to check out what's inside, there you go.

In more on-topic news, there's a copy of Shun SE for $30 with no bids and 18 hours left, so hopefully someone here will get a good deal on it.

KawaseFan

Oh, nice!  Looks like the artbook is in great condition!

CyanideBlizzard

I haven't kept up with the Umi-chan market in the past two years, and it looks like prices have increased on her merch. 

I also spotted a copy of a Tech Playstation CD-Rom.  Disc only on Ebay, Sept 97.  It really stood out to me since I rarely ran across them during my collection building process.

KawaseFan

First post in this thread for almost a year -- it's time to revive it with an Umihara Kawase Fresh item!  A new game, of course, brings new promo items to be found for sale, and in this case an Umihara Kawase Fresh promo towel from TGS 2018 is up on Yahoo Auctions for ¥1,200.